Eligibility Criteria for McNair Scholars Participation
The application for the 2019-2020 cohort will open on August 17, 2019 and closes November 1, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and priority consideration will be given to low-income first generation college students. Applicants will receive notification if they have been selected for an in person interview.
Students must meet the following eligibility criteria to be considered for the McNair Achievement Program:
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America
- Considered low income, first generation college student, and/or a member of a traditionally underrepresented group in higher education (e.g. African American, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Pacific Islander, or a student with a disability).
- In accordance to Federal government guidelines, a first-generation student is one whose parents have not earned a Bachelor's degree. If you lived with only one parent before the age of 18, consider the educational status of only that parent.
- Low income is defined by the Federal government using the family's taxable income from the IRS Form 1040. Please see the Department of Education website: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/trio/incomelevels.html for low-income level determinations
- Completed a minimum of 60 credits hours
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.8 or higher
- Full-time student at Wayne State enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours
- Committed to earning a Doctorate Degree in a field of study
Students wishing to pursue law, dentristry, medicine, optometry or veterinary careers are not eligible for this program unless they intend to do a dual degree that includes a PhD.
Apply to the McNair Scholars Program
The fall application cycle deadline has been extended to Friday November 1, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and priority consideration will be given to low-income first generation college students. Applicants will receive notification if they have been selected for an in person interview. Apply using this PDF application McNair Scholars Application 2019