What is the Educational Opportunity Center?
In September of 1982, the TRiO Educational Opportunity Center started at Wayne State University as a community-based program with support from secondary, postsecondary, community and government agencies. The project services 1,620 adults annually from our campus office and various community site offices in target areas. TRiO EOC has been providing free services for adult residents of Wayne County for nearly 4 decades, while striving to provide additional allowable services that will help each participant to excel in both their academic and personal goals.
TRiO EOC is dedicated to providing extraordinary services to participants who reside in Wayne County (*19 years of age or older), in pursuing postsecondary admissions to any accredited institution as well as individuals who want to complete their high school diploma or GED certificate requirements.
TRiO EOC provides the following services:
- Academic advice and assistance in course selection
- Assistance in completing college admission and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance examinations
- Guidance on re-entering high school, or entering a GED program
- Personal counseling and referrals
- Career assessment, exploration, counseling and workshops
- Opportunities to participate in a computer course on the main campus
- Campus tours and special activities
*Also eligible are 16-18 year old high school seniors and those 18 years of age who are currently participating in alternative educational programs or have graduated or dropped out of Detroit Public Schools